Thursday, August 18, 2005


Where I actually talk about working in opera

Yeah, it may just be time to start talking about the industry of opera. Although I could talk about what it's like to do a radio show...what would you prefer?
Ok, I am going to post a photo, and later this weekend, talk about it while those of you who read here take stabs at it.
For the uninitiated - this a costume rendering, which means it represents what the costume may or may not look like. I tended to go for more detail than less:

This is Fiordiligi from Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutti. How about those lobster claws?
New music on Sunday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Princess Alpenrose said...

Ohmygosh, I did lots of stage costuming and sketches like this one. Always had trouble with the "lobster claw" hands, too. Your sketch looks very nice, though, way better than any of mine.

I took a costuming course when I was in college, at a small liberal arts college in VT. The old man from the sea/stage ("Cap") who taught it gave me a B. I was the only one in the class and he gave me a B because I hate working in watercolor and always made my watercolor thick and bold like oil, which I prefer ...

(Fortunately, I was better at selecting fabrics, sewing, rigging costumes and dealing with nervous performers. Those skills have come in quite handy on Halloween.)

Got more? Post 'em, hon!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Princess Alpenrose said...

Oh, and as to which we'd prefer to hear the answer is obviously: BOTH! I personally think it would be fascinating if you talk about radio work mainly and weave in the business part as you go along.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

hi deidre -
thanks for stopping by...actually, I retired as a costumer many, many years ago - this production was produced, staged, recieved reviews and was packed away many, many years ago.
I was just dragging something out of the mothballs for the fun of it.
but now you have inspired a post...

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home