Sunday, July 24, 2005


WOD's back and full of opera!

Yikes people!
It feels like its been a YEAR since I posted or did my show! I don't ever get too personal on here, but today - I'll let a little out. As I mentioned way back when,
my employer pretty much rocks. Then again, it helps that my day job is to basically run the day-to-day operations of the place, so when I need to do my show, I usually get permission. So when things get a little hectic, opera and blogposting tend to go by the wayside. I work 10-12 hour days normally anyway, and these last few weeks have been rough.

Remember the bookmarks drama? Even though the esteemed (and apparently prescient) Nilbo came to the rescue, it was
1- too late
2- a precursor to another impending drama, sort of like when Linus the SoundQue mascot starts to hack up a hairball - much coughing, starting and stopping, and then ...the bomb drops.

In this case, a motherboard failure. Did I also mention that I am the go-to person for hardware around the place?

2 days it took me to cobble together a respectable machine out of an old desktop and 2 servers.
It took another week + to figure out why the soundcard was incompatible, why up to 3 soundcards were incompatible. So editing any new opera files for the player here was not happening.
And then a BUNCH of documentation which all seemed to have a July 21st due date hit my desk, and sleep became a remote possibility. This doesn't include all the client deadlines that had to be met. Did we make them? Yes, and with one of my better guys on vaca.

The upshot? I am a little battered, a little bruised, and still not quite up and running at 100%. I am seriously considering firing up a G4 to handle specific tasks, such as graphic and audio editing, as I am such a power user, I'm killing processors the way Linus kills his fake mice. Yep, the dark side is beckoning - I may use my PC only for server-related tasks. (Don't talk to me about Linux-that was so last year- I have no fear of command-line goodnes, but please, people).

What the f--- does this have to do with opera? Not much - but I will be back on the air Tuesday July 26th to celebrate the 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF WHAT'S OPERA DOC?.


I will be playing Mozart's "Le Nozze di Figaro" in the original Italian, with Solti conducting, Te Kanawa, Popp, von Stade, Ramey, Moll and Thomas Allen. THAT'S TUESDAY AT 10 AM ON WHFR-FM. Click the station name to go to the Internet stream.


4 Comments:

Blogger Nilbo said...

Well, it's about bloody time you're back. And too bad about the bookmarks. My magic does not extend to hardware malfunctions.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Oh, crap. I missed Le Nozze di Figaro. Hope things calm down for you now!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

oh please. what are you thinking? i think its just going to get worse - this was the SLOW time of year - it just gets more crazed after this. send vitamins my way.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Squirl said...

Vitamin thoughts are there right now. If you really want some vitamins I need a ship-to. :-)

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home