Sunday, August 07, 2005


New music on What's Opera Doc - Isn't It About Time?

Mendelssohn, Mozart, Bizet, Wagner, Brahms and a few others. This time I was able to get fairly complete information on the performances, although if someone wants to help identify the baritone doing the Toreador Song, have at it!
The Bjoerling/Tebaldi selection is particularly wonderful, Domingo performing the only tenor aria in Mozart's Don Giovanni is a bit "bland-ish" for my taste, but then again, so is Don Ottavio, so I give PD high marks on tapping into that characterization.

ok, so I may go off a bit about Don Giovanni all the time, as it is one of my "desert island" operas, but hello? Isn't DG the bad boy we all want? It doesn't help that my first live performance was with none other than Samuel Ramey in his heyday. Yikes, people - yikes. And it's true - he has lifts in his shoes, but WHO CARES with that voice.

So without further blathering, it is highly likely that Don Giovanni will be Tuesdays featured opera - join me over the Internet at WHFR to listen live - 10 AM - 1PM. Nicolas Harnoncourt conducting (period tempi in this one!) and Thomas Hampson as the Don.

1 Comments:

Blogger Princess Alpenrose said...

I know about the Don G bad boy syndrome you mention. I think my first/best Don G was James Morris... mmmmmmmmmm!

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home