Friday, August 12, 2005


Doctor Atomic - a new opera

Those of us that follow such things regularly have known about this for about 2 years now, but to see the premiere of a new opera make the front page of Yahoo - ok, THAT is news. All hope is not lost.
And I am a "Peter Sellars = yes" kinda gal. For those of you in the anti-PS camp, think about this - what better for him to direct than modern opera?
And for those of you who have NO IDEA what that sentence actually means, here's the deal - Peter Sellars (the director, NOT the actor) is well-known in opera for his rather elecetic take on staging opera - a Don Giovanni amongst drug dealers and 'ho's, a "Cosi" in a diner, and a "Nozze" with the Count as Donald Trump. Our version of Eurotrash opera direction, to hear some opinions.
And for those of you who don't like John Adams, you're welcome to your opinion, but I think you're really wrong and encourage you to give it another try.

6 Comments:

Blogger Princess Alpenrose said...

Hey, like your blog! I'm in the queue to join the Opera NetRing (Opera Ring, that's hilarious in itself!).

My blog is Music to Live By. Just went on a rampage about being a spinto soprano there ...

Hey, thanks for the Mozart! Piano Sonata 14, and it's pretty energetic. Perhaps a smidge overcaffeinated for my taste, but obviously a Master. I can almost place it but not quite. Who is it?

I'll check back in and comment as often as I can. You've got a good blog here.

Ciao for now! Andrea B.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

Alfred Brendel :)
I was over caffeineated when I put together this playlist.

Thanks to both of you and welcome!
I will come visit you tomorrow. ;)

9:48 PM  
Blogger Princess Alpenrose said...

Brendel baby, of course! (He went to school with my Dad back in their Austria childhood days.) Early Brendel, maybe?

Don't you dare quote me (!) but our man Brendel seems a bit aristocratically jaded at the keyboard these days. Making music with his son seems to perk up his playing a bit. Do you agree?

Come on over and join my blog - I did a BIG post on Doc Oc, sorry, on Doc Atomic today!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Princess Alpenrose said...

Thanks for commenting! This is going to be such an exciting premiere, I just have got to find a way to get there.

BTW - Do you do live interviews on your show? I'd really be interested in hearing some live interviews of these performers leading up to the premiere!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Opera Gal said...

yes, my most recent was with Matthew Polenzani, right after he did Tamino at the Met - I have also interviewed Regina Resnik and Dmitri Hvorostovsky. I would love to do interviews with these artists. scheduling them is always hard because I air only once a week.
:)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Princess Alpenrose said...

Awesome, that's really great! Those are some major figures in opera; it must have been fun.

Do you have those interviews transcribed or available by audio link?

I wonder what it would take to get interviews of our Doc Atomic cast...

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home