Monday, October 24, 2005


Not exactly household names in opera - aka - fun with dmoz

DMOZ is a beautiful thing - a well-categorized search engine. Using it, I was able to troll around, looking for singers that aren't quite a household name yet.
Singers from many countries are represented on the player today, all are identified except for the unknown baritone performing a quite credible "Largo al factotum".
I saw a LOT of websites, both good and bad.
A couple of pieces of advice to you singers out there - if you want to bill yourself as a classically trained singer, please do not have your music clips ONLY from pop music covers or musical theater pieces within the last 10 years.
2 - As much as I like gospel, it also does not count as a classical selection.
Having said that, one of the best versions lesser-known versions (meaning someone not famous for singing Violetta) of the Sempre Libera I ever heard was a church choir soloist on local cable public access television being broadcast from a church on the South Side of Chicago.
Also, to the unfortunate gentleman who is choosing to make a career as a Luicano Pavarotti LOOK-ALIKE, this my friend is a poor career choice in ways I can't even begin to describe. Please don't ask me to play his music on here, I may never get the "earbug" out of my head, and I think it is gnawing at my cerebellum cortex as we speak.
The operatic version of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" is presented for giggle value - I also have no identifying information on that selection.
Enjoy, or not, but welcome to a new week for WOD. :)
Ed Note: The "operatic stairway to heaven" file was damaged in conversion to the player. Enjoy it in MP3 version. This will open an entirely different player, which = bad web development. Sue me, ok?
Ed Note 2: Blogger sucks - it should not have taken me 26 minutes to post this link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home