Wednesday, January 18, 2006


Hosting a radio show - Part 2

Or more correctly - a tip from a radio host:
The top of the hour (ANY HOUR) is when we do our ID = 2-2-2.
ID? That's the station ID - W*** (if you're east of the Mississippi) or K*** (if you're west)
2 = 2 station promos. Promotional annoucements about the station - this can be as simple as the tagline. (Ours is "the station making waves") or as complex as a 2 minute message about a new show, event or programming change.

2 = 2 outside promos. The are often health-related in nature, for some reason. We often get ours from the Ad Council.

And the final 2? Those are 2 promos promoting something at the college, since we are a college radio station.

The first one? The ID? Mandated by the FCC, folks. we have to say it, EVEN IF IT INTERRUPTS SOMETHING YOU LIKE. All hosts do their best to program well and build in their breaks nice and even.

What does this mean to you? It means we are what is called on "live mic". So we can't ANSWER THE PHONE, OR THE DOOR, or anything else.

Why do I bring this up? If you are a host at the station who has *supposedly* gone through your training, why did you not only burst into the studio just as I was potting up the mic, and why did you blurt out some very bad news seconds before I had to go on the air?

Just asking for a friend, y'know. Didn't bother me a bit. Pardon me while I go lay down for a while, I think my head is going to explode.

***If the above sarcasm isn't quite reaching out of the monitor at you, believe me, it's there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home